Last night I tried Insalata Fantasia di Arance or Orange Salad. It is very simple. The citrus flavour juxtaposed with the olive oil and the sea salt make for a wonderful first dish.
- 4 large oranges
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 red onion
- sea salt
- Sicilian olives
- olive oil
I used 4 large navel oranges but you can use any kind of orange. I think a mixture of blood oranges with navel oranges would be nice.
- Peeled the oranges and 1/2 lemon and cut them into large chunks and placed them in a bowl.
- Dice the onion and olives and add to the bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour olive oil to taste over the ingredients – at least 3-4 tablespoons.
- Let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes to allow the orange juice and oil to mix.