For dessert, I made mele fredde al barolo (apples in red wine).
- 4 apples, pared and quartered
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- sprig of fresh mint
- In a saucepan, bring the wine and the sugar to a slow boil.
- Add apples, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove apples and place in a serving dish.
- Continue to simmer the wine/sugar mixture until it is about 1/2 the volume and is syrupy.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour syrup over apples.
- Place fresh mint on top
- You can serve this, warm or cold, with cream, whipped cream, or ice cream or just eat as is.
This makes about 4 servings.